The nursery is coming together nicely. We were both off for about a week over the holidays, which gave us a lot of time to paint, organize and get things ready. Previously, we had just been using the room for storage, so we moved the boxes to the attic, painted the walls and got it ready to fill with furniture and baby things.
I agonized forever over picking the paint color for the walls. I wanted the perfect shade of aqua blue - not too green and not too "boy" blue. I ended up finding the paint color at Lowe's and had it matched at our local Sherwin Williams store. I am really happy with how it turned out. The Sherwin Williams "Duration Home" brand of paint is great and the customer service at our local store was outstanding. We got it done in one coat and didn't even have to prime, despite multiple paint sample patches painted all over all four walls! (I told you I agonized over it. Of course, very inexpensive paint samples don't help... I just kept going back for more!) We touched up the baseboard as well - there was a very weird phone line that ran almost all the way around the room's baseboard and has been painted over previously. When we pulled it up, it pulled off the baseboard paint, exposing all of the many colors the baseboards have been over the years. And thanks to the tree falling on our house a few years ago, the room has a nice new window so at least Baby Girl won't suffer in a drafty room!
Another day off was dedicated to crib assembly and other projects. Scott was pleased with how easily the crib assembled, thanks to it not having drop sides, which are becoming pretty unpopular because of recalls. We went with the Million Dollar Baby Jenny Lind crib and we purchased it from New Baby Products, a local baby store here in Atlanta. I was not really interested in having a convertible crib because we will have a twin bed in the nursery that will eventually be the baby's "big girl" bed. I just wanted a classic, vintage looking crib and the Jenny Lind fit the bill.
While Scott assembled the crib, I put a fresh coat of paint on a rocking chair that we got from Mimi's house (Scott's late grandmother). I was happy to find something useful to repurpose and I love having things with a "history" in our home. See that piece of fabric hanging over the side of the crib? That fabric pattern will be used to make a new cushion for the rocker and it will also be used for a quilt on the twin bed. I just love the aqua, coral and yellow color scheme, especially set against the bright white of the furniture and trim. I think it will look girly, but without using the ubiquitous PINK. I was sort of adamant about the nursery not being too pink - personally, I think it's way too overused and cutesy!
This weekend we will tackle installing the blinds and looking for a new light fixture. After installing blinds in the rest of our house, we are old pros at it. Hopefully the new light fixture installation will go smoothly. We attempted to install a new ceiling fan in our previous house, thinking it would be an easy job, only to have it morph into a huge project! Oh, the joys of living in mid-century homes! But despite the questionable wiring, drafty windows and peeling baseboards, I would not trade it for a brand new home. We love our "soft contemporary" and look forward to raising our Baby Girl in such a great old neighborhood filled with nice trees (at least... the ones that don't fall on our house), friendly neighbors and split level homes. It feels like The Brady Bunch. Or maybe Mad Men, but with less smoking, drinking and bored housewives.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment