38 Week Checkup

We had a rather dramatic day today! At my checkup this morning, my doctor checked me and I was measuring 4-5 centimeters dilated and 70% effaced. Since it's unusual for first-time moms to be progressing that far along without contractions or active labor, my doctor sent me to the hospital for monitoring. Scott and I came home, finished packing our bag just in case we wouldn't be back home and I went to wait at the hospital while Scott went to wrap some things up at work.

After waiting for a while, I was admitted to the triage/assessment area. I put on the hospital gown and got hooked up to two monitor belts - one to monitor contractions and one to monitor fetal heartbeat. The fetal heartbeat was good and I was experiencing small contractions about 30 seconds apart but they were very mild. They were so mild, I could not even feel them. The on call doctor didn't think it was necessary for me to be admitted or to induce labor since I am still a little under two weeks out from my due date and not experiencing strong contractions. It was a bit stressful for a few minutes, but ultimately a good experience. My biggest concern was that I had not eaten lunch and if I was admitted I would be starving and could not eat - seriously! All I could think about was food!

It was a good "practice" day for when the big day does arrive and hopefully when I do go into active labor things will progress quickly and without complication. Mental note: EAT before you go to the hospital!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

put a snack in the car - always have a sandwich ready! that way you can chow down on your way in! :) she'll be here soon

Heather said...

Ha, ha!!! YES, definitely want to eat! That's so exciting. That is so amazing that you're already halfway there dialation-wise and you haven't had contractions. When I was 5-6 cms at home, Dani was like "yeah, we really need to go NOW". Of couse, I had contractions but they weren't that bad and I was wondering if they were Braxton-Hicks since I had never had them. Turns out I never did have them because those were real. When we went in the the hospital at 5-6 cms, I would've had Matthew just a few hours later if not sooner if they hadn't slowed me down to take me to that other hospital. I was progressing really fast by that point but didn't really know it.

Can't wait, it will be so soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails