Before I had Shelby, I had never given much thought to breastfeeding. I just thought it would be something that I'd naturally do - it never occurred to me not to. I took the class, read the books and thought I was pretty prepared. During my maternity leave, I went to a lactation group every week and I absolutely loved it. It was about more than just boobs... it was about connecting with other moms, sharing advice and tips and getting help from a certified lactation specialist if you needed it. It made me feel less alone and gave me confidence and a can-do attitude, not just about breastfeeding, but about mothering in general. I remember leaving every week with a renewed sense of happiness and confidence. I regained perspective from whatever minor thing was stressing me out that week and learned to not sweat the small stuff.
I know not every mom can breastfeed - or even wants to. I respect that, but personally it's been a rewarding and fulfilling experience for me. It's an amazing thing to be able to sustain a life and see a little person grow because of something you provide for them. So in celebration of National Breastfeeding Week, here's some more great breastfeeding information and advice from thebump.com.
0 comments:
Post a Comment