Rolling Roundup

Knock on wood and cross your fingers, but Shelby seems to have figured out the whole rolling over thing. For a few nights, she would roll onto her tummy, get stuck and cry. We'd have to go in there and flip her over like a pancake multiple times a night, sometimes with a feeding thrown in to get her back to sleep. The multiple night wake ups were exhausting... it was like having a newborn all over again! And just when we were getting used to uninterrupted sleep!

From there, it progressed to rolling over, making a little noise and then going back to sleep after we flipped her over. Then she rolled over and put herself back to sleep. Last night, we didn't hear her at all so perhaps she rolled over and didn't even wake up. Are we out of the woods on this rolling over issue? Do we get a small break before the next big thing - teething, crawling, pulling up? Let's hope so.

I've read that sleep doesn't necessarily progress in a linear fashion and that babies experience temporary sleep regression or crankiness around big developmental milestones, and I have certainly found this to be true in our case. If I hadn't known this, I probably would have been freaking out that our great sleeper was suddenly a "bad" sleeper. I haven't had a chance to buy it yet, but a book called The Wonder Weeks explains these developmental leaps in greater detail.

I've also found a great deal of helpful information from Ask Moxie. I stumbled across this blog as I was googling "four month sleep regression" and found a ton of great wisdom from other commenters. It's searchable by topic, so you can easily find lots of good advice for something you might be going through at the moment. I especially like the non-judgmental tone and thoughtful comments on each post.

That's what's going on in our lives right now. Shelby also started daycare this week and is surviving and thriving and we are thankful. She seems to be doing great so far!

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails