Nine Month Checkup


Does this bunny suit make me look fat?

Shelby's stats at almost ten months:
  • Height: 29 inches (75-90th percentile)
  • Weight: 17 pounds, 3 ounces (10-25th percentile)
  • Head circumference: 43.5 centimeters (25-50th percentile)
We had Shelby's nine month check up today and got the surprising news that she was a bit underweight for her age, according to the growth charts. She only gained a little over a pound since her last appointment, although she is still longer than average in length. The doctor suggested supplementing her daytime feedings at school with formula, which I felt rather disappointed about. Not that I want to starve Shelby or anything, but we had a goal to make it to a year of exclusive breastfeeding and to be so close to that goal and have to now possibly supplement is a little bit of a let down (no pun intended).

I have some frozen milk left in my stash and I am going to use that first and also bump her solids up to three times a day, plus some more "table food" (ie regular soft food) since she has shown an interest in self feeding lately. We fed her some avocado this weekend and after a little practice she did really well at picking up the pieces and feeding herself. I am also going to work hard at building up my pumping output before going to formula. I know that breastfeeding is not "all or nothing" and it's not necessarily that I am anti-formula, but it just feels so late in the game to have to worry about introducing it. I was hoping to just go straight from breastmilk to regular milk at a year, and then only for school feedings. I was hoping to just take a relaxed child-led weaning approach after that for other feedings.

So readers (all five of you) ... how long did you breastfeed? When did you fully or partially wean to cow's milk or formula?

2 comments:

Heather said...

I nursed for a complete 13 months to the day. We really only stopped because we were in the US and it was Thanksgiving and cold and Matthew got all congested and it was just so hard to breastfeed. He kept trying and crying but he just couldn't breathe, ugh! We went straight from breastmilk to cow's milk since he was over a year old and past the "milk allergy" phase. I was kinda glad it happened the way it did so I never had to "reject" him like if he wanted to continue nursing for years or something and I would eventually have to make him quit. I had always planned to quit around the year mark but then we were traveling and it just didn't seem like the right time. I would've done it a bit longer if he hadn't gotten so sick.

CK, MD said...

Have you heard of Fenugreek? It might help. Also, pump more often maybe? And drink lots...especially if you wake up at night to feed her.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails