This weekend, I whipped up four more baby food varieties for Shelby. Most of it was quite easy and I can't wait to introduce these new foods to her. We introduced peas this weekend and she loved them! Here's what I made. I bought the following produce at Super Target and took note of the prices so I could compare it to the cost of jarred food:
- Medium acorn squash - $1.16 - made 12 oz.
- Large butternut squash - $3.27 - made about 24 oz.
- 3 organic gala apples - $2.93 - made about 10 oz.
- 1 1-lb. bag of frozen peas - $1.64 - made 16 oz. Birds Eye brand was the only brand I could find that did not have added salt.
The acorn squash and the butternut squash were by far the most difficult to make, just because they were really hard to chop! The peas were the easiest and I think I will definitely be making them again and again, especially since Shelby seemed to like them so much. I have made almost all the foods in the 6 month section of the Fresh Baby book (still have to make pears) and I am almost ready to move on to the 6-8 month section of the book! Exciting! Making food has been surprisingly fun and rewarding, especially since I can give Shelby such a variety of foods. It seems like the options in most grocery stores are extremely limited. The Fresh Baby kit comes with two ice cube trays with lids that you can use to freeze your portions and then pop them out and store the cubes in a Ziploc bag but I also bought these freezer containers so I could easily freeze portions to send to school with Shelby. Next on the menu: apples!
2 comments:
Pears will make her poop!
Whack those big hard squashes in half with a big knife, de-seed, and bake all together covered in tinfoil in a big casserole dish in the oven.
Scoop the good stuff out with a spoon, voila already soft, mashed and ready to freeze.
No chopping necessary.
Love Grandma
PS throw some halved unpeeled sweet potatoes or any other hard vegetables in the casserole at the same time. They will all cook up nice and soft. Scoop it all out with a spoon.
WV......resheat..... Hahahah yes, just resheat and serve
Post a Comment