Sorry for the lack of updates lately - we have been so busy this fall with football, fall activities and potty training! Here's what's going on in our world:
Tonight, Shelby did the funniest thing. We've watched this Sesame Street video a couple of times - it's a spoof of the song "Call Me Maybe" where Cookie Monster sings "share it maybe" as he goes in search of a cookie. After dinner, I was standing at the counter nibbling a cookie and Shelby walked up to me, looked me in the eye and very earnestly said "share it maybe?" So cute!
Potty training! Wow, this is hard! It's going pretty well and she's really getting the hang of it, but she still has accidents sometimes (luckily on our hardwoods or tile 90% of the time). A few weeks ago, she started wearing "potty pants" at school (underpants with a plastic waterproof cover) and using the potty. Over the weekend, we made a special trip to Target to pick out some "big girl pants" (she chose Hello Kitty, fairies and My Little Pony) and we spent a couple days at home, inside, ALL DAY - her wearing the big girl pants and us asking every thirty seconds if she had to use the potty. It was incredibly tedious and such a long day, but I think we are making progress. This week, she's asked to wear her underpants to school instead of a diaper and she is getting better at telling us when she has to go. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel - our diaper days are nearly over! It kind of makes me a little sad though because she is no longer a baby.
Extra curriculars! Shelby is having a great time in her new class at school and learning so much every day. She makes me laugh all the time with the funny things she says. They are learning Spanish words and she knows "agua" and "hola" already! She is also taking ballet class and a movement class called "busy bodies." She really loves both and likes to talk about them when we're at home.
Terrible twos! Shelby is mostly an easygoing and pleasant little girl, but she has definitely had some moments lately with tantrums and crying. She's very strong willed and is getting good at vocalizing exactly what she wants and if she doesn't get it - watch out! It's mostly in the evenings when she is tired or cranky anyway and is asking for things to procrastinate bathtime. She will even say "Watch Elmo for one more minute?" like she knows exactly how to negotiate! We try to be firm with her, but when she sweetly asks for one more book and then one more after that at bedtime, it's hard to resist! At least she likes books! It's like two year olds have two speeds: incredibly sweet, loving and cute OR pitching a fit! There is no in-between!
Consignment sale! Last week was our fall consignment sale and I scored some great deals and got rid of a lot of last year's fall clothes that she had outgrown. I look forward to the consignment sales every season - I get to purge stuff I don't need, make a little money and support a great cause! Shelby is really into picking out her own outfits now and this was the first time I had to shop and keep in mind what she would like and wear - not just what I thought was cute! This is hard! She is really into what she calls "stretchy pants"(legging or soft yoga-type pants) and shirts with an animal or picture on them. Of course, I would love for her to be into adorable dresses and tights but it's not happening! The other day I put on a pair of boots and she really wanted boots, too! So today we bought her a new pair of fall boots and they made her so happy - my little fashionista!
Miss independent! She is exerting her independence in every way and wants to do everything herself - get dressed, climb in the car seat, etc. It's encouraging to see her gain independence, but hard when she gets frustrated.
What else? It's hard to remember everything, but I certainly try! I need to be better at writing down the cute and funny things she says... she is a sweet girl and makes us laugh every day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment