Consignment Ramblings

Doesn't Shelby look adorable in her "new to me" consignment sale dress? I think it was $3! 

This past week, I shopped the Oak Grove consignment sale. It's hard to believe, but this was my fourth year shopping the sale and it's one of the things I look forward to every season. I also sell items in the sale, so it's always nice to practically trade old stuff for new stuff! Although organizing, tagging and dropping off your items takes a bit of work, it's always worth it, to me. Here are just some of the many reasons I think consignment and recyling is so worth it:
  • It's wallet friendly! Like I said above, I practically break even on the amount of stuff I sell with the amount of stuff I buy! It's the ultimate trading program and I can replace Shelby's wardrobe twice a year (spring/summer and fall/winter...kids grow so fast and they're a different size from one year to the next) for practically nothing. Or if I didn't spend much or buy anything at all, it's money in my pocket! 
  • It's a great way to have a well-dressed kid for less! I've bought like-new brand name items from quality brands like Lilly Pulitzer, Ralph Lauren, Hannah Andersson, Boden and Tea Collection for a fraction of their retail price. I admit it...I like cute kid's clothes! Which brings me to...
  • Your purchases have been "road tested!" If that dress, bike or toy still looks great and works after one (or two or three!) kids have used it, you know you're purchasing a quality product. Our consignment sale is pretty strict about screening items so most of what you're shopping for looks great and functions. It's a much better shopping experience than sifting through racks at a Goodwill store trying to find one hidden gem. 
  • Tame the toy monster! Rotating out some toys every six months is wonderful both your playroom and your kid's curiosity. I can't tell you how good it feels to purge excess toys and know someone else can enjoy them. Plus, adding in some new toys and books to your mix keeps your kids from getting bored with the same old stuff. I'll sometimes buy some toys and books and then introduce a new one every month or so to keep things interesting. 
  • It's earth friendly! Consignment shopping is the ultimate in local recycling. Just think of the hundreds of thousands of items that stay in the community, getting used over and over again and won't end up in a landfill. Plus, everything you buy at consignment is just one less thing that's manufactured overseas, shipped across the globe and taking up space in a big box store. 
  • It benefits your local community! Consignment sales are often hosted by local churches and preschool programs as a fundraiser for the school. They receive a cut of the sales to improve their schools and you get a cut of the money back in your wallet. It's a win-win! 
After shopping so many consignment sales for Shelby, I thought to myself, "what about me?" I've had so much fun bargain hunting for Shelby, I wanted to try it for myself. Recently, I've been purchasing a lot of my clothing from eBay and local consignment and upscale resale stores. My favorite local resale shops are the ones run by Wellspring Living. Check them out here. I also have to give a shout out to my friend's new website Your Town Consignment, which is a directory of local consignment, thrift and vintage stores. It's mostly Athens and Georgia-based right now, but will be expanding in the future. 

I have received lots of compliments on my thrifted wardrobe and wanted to share some of my thrift / eBay shopping tips here. Some people have hang ups about used clothes, but once you discover the thrill and fun of consignment shopping, you might change your mind! 
  • When thrift shopping, try it on. If it doesn't fit, it's not a deal. 
  • Check the clothes for rips, pilling, stains etc. If its not in perfect condition, it's also not a deal. However, if something is an easy fix, like sewing on a missing button or repairing a hem, it might be worth it if you really like it. 
  • I like to shop for work, dressy or nicer clothes only. Dressier clothes often don't get as much wear as things like jeans and knits, so you can often find things that have only been worn a couple of times and dry cleaned. Which brings me to...
  • Dry cleaning is your friend. Freshly lauder and dry clean it ... and it's like "new to you!" 
  • Look for quality fabrics. I tend to stick to nicer fabrics only - wool, silk, 100% cotton, etc. because I know there are less issues with pilling, shrinking and general wear and tear. I've found some absolutely gorgeous silk dresses and wool blazers for next to nothing. You might never go back to polyester again! Which brings me to...
  • Stick with the classics. Trends come and go, but a perfect camel blazer or plaid skirt will last forever. If you find a great classic piece in a thrift shop, you know it's stood the trend test! Fast fashion will become a thing of the past and you might never step foot in Forever 21 again! Which is not to say I won't still buy the occasional trendy item, but it's usually just an inexpensive accessory to compliment something classic. But how many times have you cleaned out your closet and ended up with huge bag of T-shirts from Old Navy and some super trendy "what was I thinking" purchases destined for the donation pile? You'll spend less in the long run with classics. 

My eBay shopping tips:
  • Know your brands, know your sizes. With online shopping, you don't get the benefit of being able to try it on before you buy, and many times items are non-returnable. Only shop brands that you are confident you know what size you wear, and you're confident that their sizing is consistent. For example, I consistently have good luck with brands like J. Crew, Lilly Pulitzer and Banana Republic because I know what size I wear, and how it will wear on me. I usually buy things that are more forgiving, like dresses or tops and stay away from trickier items like pants. 
  • Look for keywords like "new" and "NWT" (new with tags). You won't believe how many brand new items are for sale.
  • Keep a watch list and bookmark your favorites. The eBay mobile app is wonderful - it allows you to easily bookmark your favorite searches, compile a watch list of things you're interested in, and more. 
  • Get good at bidding. There's an art and a science to bidding and it's thrilling to win an auction and get a good deal! There are plenty of articles and resources online about bidding and I am certainly not an expert, but I will say to try not to bid on something until as close as the auction end time as possible! But not everything is auction-style bidding -there are plenty of more low-stress "buy it now" options as well. 
  • Always pay promptly and leave good feedback. Practicing good eBay etiquette is key!
  • You win some, you lose some. Don't be devastated if you lose an auction - there will always be another one! Similarly, don't be bummed if something you bought ends up not working out. You can always resell it! I've had just as much fun selling things as I have had buying. 
What are you thoughts? Do you buy things via consignment or eBay? What are your tips and tricks to finding good deals? 

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails