Baby Must Haves

I was recently helping a friend with her registry and racked my brain for everything baby related I have used in the first ten months of Shelby's life. Here's my list of must-haves, nice-to-haves and things I didn't use or need. I thought I'd repost it here so I can remember it. So... here is my exhaustive list of all things baby!

Newborn Items
Layette
  • A couple of packs of diapers in newborn and size one. I liked Pampers for when Shelby was tiny but recently switched to generic
  • Wipes – I love the Sam’s/Costco generic brand big box
  • Onesies – long and short sleeve or cotton footie sleepers. I like Carter’s brand because they run true to size
  • Socks- I love Trumpette or any kind of cute shoe sock.
  • One or two pairs of mitts to prevent face scratching
  • Wash cloths or cloth diapers for wiping up drool, spit ups, etc.
  • Aden + Anais swaddle blankets – love these
Feeding
  • Medela Pump in Style pump
  • Medela freezing and storage set (box of 12 smaller bottles for pumping)
  • Medela pump and save bags
  • Nursing pads
  • Bottle brush
  • Microwave steam sterilizer
  • Bottle drying rack
  • Bottles – DON’T get a bunch of one kind until you figure out what kind of bottle she will take. I spent a ton of money on different bottles before finding one that Shelby would take. She finally ended up with Dr. Browns bottles.
  • Nursing bras – I like the Target brand. Get the kind with NO underwire and get about three or four.
Infant Care
  • Infant tub – I have The First Years tub
  • A couple of hooded towels and packs of wash cloths
  • Mylicon gas drops
  • Infant Tylenol and Motrin – generic/Target brand is OK
  • Enfamil D Vi Sol
  • Digital rectal thermometer
  • Nasal aspirator – I LOVE this thing called Baby Comfy Nose – so much better than the bulb – you can get it on Amazon. The hospital will probably give you a regular bulb aspirator
  • Saline drops
  • Diaper cream, baby wash and lotion – I like Aveeno because Shelby has sensitive skin
  • Aquaphor ointment
  • Nail clippers
  • Baby Vicks
  • Brush and comb set
  • Hand sanitizer and hand soap
  • Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier
Other Gear
  • Graco SnugRide infant carrier plus an extra base or two
  • Bouncy seat
  • Baby size clothes hangers – one or two packs
  • Baby monitor – an inexpensive one is OK. You don’t need a video monitor. We just use ours when we are downstairs – we do not even use it upstairs because we just keep our doors open. I got the Fisher Price one with a nightlight and plug in receivers so we don’t burn through batteries
  • A changing mat or kit – you can just keep this inside a regular tote bag instead of getting a special diaper bag. I thought most of the diaper bags were ugly and felt cheap. You can get a cute tote bag or personalized bag instead of the limited choice of diaper bags available
  • Stroller Frame – get this instead of a travel system or large stroller. You just sit the infant carrier in it and it is SO much easier to fold up and transport than a full size stroller
  • Crib sheets – two or three at most
  • Waterproof crib mattress cover
  • Boppy pillow – I did not really use it for nursing, I more used it for a place to sit Shelby beside me on the couch, although you should not leave them unattended in it
  • My Breast Friend – a lot of my friends have this brand of nursing pillow and love it
Feeding Items for Six Months+
  • Fresh Baby So Easy Baby Food kit (if you make your own food)
  • Especially for Baby freezer food tray set
  • You don’t need a special baby food making appliance – if you have a food processor that will do just fine
  • Munchkin suction bowl set with lids
  • Bumkins waterproof bibs
  • Gerber soft bite spoons
  • Sippy cups – same with bottles - you might have to try a bunch before finding one she likes. Shelby ended up liking the cheap Take and Toss brand
  • High chair – get one with the least amount of padding possible, because it will just get gross. If space is at a premium, I’d recommend to just get a booster seat that straps to a dining chair. I have the Svan highchair.
Nice to Have Items, But Not Necessary
  • Swing - see if you can borrow this from someone - some babies do not like swings and you really don't use it much after they are out of newborn stage. The Fisher Price Papasan swing is very popular
  • Exersaucer or Jumperoo for when they are about 5 months+
  • Nursing cover
  • Itzbeen Baby Care Timer – I loved this thing, especially in the early days when you are focused on keeping track of how many poos they have, how long they nurse, etc.
  • Sling or carrier – Ergo is the best brand – better for your back that the Bjorn, although some babies do not like slings, so it’s not a must have
  • Crib mobile
  • Crib mirror
  • Tummy time “gym” or play mat (with little dangly toys that hang down from arches)
  • Combo shopping cart/high chair cover for outings once they can sit up on their own
  • Fleece Halo sleep sacks
  • Car mirrors
Items for Later On ...
  • Umbrella or lightweight stroller for when she is old enough to sit up – I LOVE my Maclaren – I keep this in my car for errands, mall walks etc.
  • Jog stroller if you do a lot of outdoor walking on uneven surfaces – I LOVE my Joovy Zoom
  • Pack N Play – get the biggest one you can get if you plan to use it for a while as a travel crib
  • Britax carseat(s) for when they are out of the infant carrier – Britax is the most highly rated brand, but they are expensive - wait for a sale to buy
  • Leap Frog musical table – every baby loves this thing for some reason
  • Safety items like baby gate, outlet covers, cabinet locks, etc. Don’t go crazy buying this stuff until you figure out what you need and where you need it
  • Small toys like teethers, rattles, clip on toys, etc.
  • Books – only get board books for now. They will rip/eat regular page books
Things I didn't need
  • Nice clothing – people will buy you lots of clothes. Babies mostly wear jammies the first six months anyway. You won’t need a lot of nice outfits at first. I like Carter's play wear for everyday wear - tunics and leggings are my favorite
  • Receiving blankets – too small for swaddling
  • Other blankets – nice to have for the stroller or car seat if it’s chilly, but not necessary for sleeping
  • Changing table or pad – if you have a guest bed in the baby’s room, just put a towel and waterproof pad down and change on that.
  • Diaper Genie or wipes warmer – not necessary! I just got a small covered trash can at Ikea
  • Bumbo – we barely used this
  • Bottle warmer
  • Shoes – they do not need shoes until they can walk!

2 comments:

CK, MD said...

A few comments:
I will have to say we have NEEDED our swing. This child is so heavy we need our robot rocker to help us. Also the sleep sack was a must for us too because we could never swaddle him with a blanket. Just not good at it. And finally, I know bottle warmers aren't usually needed, but we need ours because when this kid gets hungry, you have about 30 seconds before your eardrums burst. Gerber bottle warmer works in less than a minute for 4 and 1/2 ounces and it was worth every penny. Also, Luke is in 6 month Carter clothes! EEEK!

Liz said...

Hmmmmmmmmmm
Might you be using this list again at some point ???? :)
It's been more fun that you ever imagined, hasn't it !!!
Go on.....admit it :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails