A Growth Spurt

Shelby now weighs 8 pounds and 1 ounce. She gained 10 ounces in a week! I can't believe how fast she's growing!

I think she's been experiencing a growth spurt this week. For the past few days it seems like she's been feeding at closer intervals during the day and what seems like non-stop in the evenings. This is called "cluster feeding" or "tanking up." She then sleeps for a slightly longer period at night - about 4 hours instead of 3 for the first portion of the night. Just when I thought I had a schedule figured out, she decided to change it up!

I did some reading and apparently growth spurts are very common during the first 6 weeks, when a baby's digestive and nervous systems are still very immature. I can't wait until she stretches out her night sleeps for a little longer... although I do feel a little sad that she is already getting bigger! I can already tell her newborn onesies are fitting more snugly. However, the upside is that she has longer periods of wakefulness and seems to be looking all around and taking in the new world around her. It's so cute!

1 comments:

Julie said...

I can't believe she's almost 4 weeks old. I hope y'all are doing well. We'll have to make another visit to see you soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails