My Consignment Sale Haul


Can I just tell you how excited I am about my huge consignment sale haul from tonight? I am really excited! There are no better deals to be found than at church consignment sales. I participate in the Oak Grove Young Children's School sale and it's a blast. I sell items each year, so I get a preview night pass for early shopping. It's part Black Friday, part garage sale and all madness. Women start lining up an hour before the doors open. This year, it downpoured while we stood in line, yet eager shoppers held their plastic bags and laundry baskets over their heads, undeterred and excited for the bargains within.

And oh were there bargains to be had. I made out like a bandit this year, with toys, books, and clothing galore, all for bargain basement prices. I am very picky about the condition of what I buy and I was pleased that everything I bought was in like new condition. Sometimes, in the mad dash madness, you can get a couple of disappointing impulse buys, but after inspecting everything, I am happy with what I got.

Here's a preview of what I snagged:

  • More than 20 pieces of winter clothing, including some brand new and many brand name items like Lilly Pulitzer, Ralph Lauren and Baby Gap. I love shopping consignment sales for Shelby's school clothes because she wears them out and I don't mind since I paid less than $5 per outfit! I got jackets, pants, holiday clothes, jeans, hats mittens and more.
  • Brand new Circo glitter shoes for $5 ($13 retail)
  • Two brand new pairs of fleece footie pajamas for $5 each
  • Melissa & Doug farm maze wooden puzzle for $3.50 ($13 retail)
  • Melissa & Doug wooden pets puzzle for $3 ($9 retail)
  • Parents Magazine wooden barn yard play set for $10 ($60 retail) - my top toy find! This was a great set with tons of interactive play features and very nice quality.
  • Fisher Price corn popper for $1 ($15 retail) - a classic must have!
  • Playskool walk n ride for $7 ($20 retail) - she played with this at school and also at a friend's house and loved it.
  • Numerous books for $1 to $3 each
  • Fisher Price chatter Elmo for $1.50 ($18 retail)
  • Sesame Street giggle vacuum for $3 ($20 retail)
  • Elmo talking cell phone for $1.50 ($14 retail) - I might regret buying these three noisy talking toys, but she really does love anything with lights and sounds! But with the prices I paid, at least I won't feel guilty hiding them if they get too annoying!

I haven't bought toys in the past, but I am glad I picked up a few things this year. It seems like her tastes in toys changes daily and I can keep a variety of things in rotation, cheaply. Plus, I couldn't resist buying a few Sesame Street themed toys... her current obsession! I always thought I'd never indulge in licensed characters but those furry puppets really do make her happy!

If you haven't gone to a church consignment sale in your area, they are worth checking out. They are usually held twice a year in fall and spring and you can find some wonderful deals. Money is usually split between the sellers and the organization that puts it on, so everyone benefits because it's a fundraiser and moms make a few bucks, too! Last year, I made $150! It's also a great way for moms to recycle gently used clothing and toys; I feel so "green" shopping there, because I am not buying anything newly manufactured and can resell it again next year. Plus, it's just a lot of fun!

Now... no buying anything for the rest of the year! Shelby's closet and toy box are full!

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails